Tuesday 22 November 2011

My first date in 6 years, almost my last!

So a couple of weeks ago I had my first date in 6 years, I was equally looking forwards to it and dreading it.  The girl I'd found was from the dating site, we'd swapped emails and few texts, I'd learned she had been 'til recently a student and was looking for an HR position at the moment, she was 5 years younger than me and was quite new to the town so we'd agreed to meet up and have a drink or two and I'd pick the venue.  I picked a small pub in town but with a nice cosy atmosphere and some decent drinks and nibbles if things got that far. 

I decided it was a nice night so I'd walk into town, it's not a long walk and I thought it'd give me time to think about things in advance.  Unfortunately halfway there it started raining so I hopped on a bus to avoid turning up looking like I'd swam there.  Turns out my timing wasn't great as the first person I saw on the bus I immediately recognised as my date, we did the awkward looks, then the awkward hello's, then had a pretty awkward few minutes sat next to each other trying to come up with small talk far quicker than either of us anticipated.  Initial impressions were that she was very shy, she wouldn't look at me or hold my gaze at all (no I wasn't just sat staring at her).  To be honest I already knew at this point that I didn't really find her attractive but I held out hopes we could have a nice few drinks and part as friends. 

Once in the pub we got a couple of drinks but she was still painfully shy, one or two word answers to questions and I was starting to struggle to fill the silences with rubbish banter.  By this time I'm ashamed to admit it but I was trying to think of an exit strategy with no success at all so I bought another round of drinks so I could have a short time out.  As she drank the second drink though she got a touch more talkative, I was starting to feel a little more comfortable 'til I realised that rather than just loosening up a bit she was actually starting to look a little worse for wear.  In fact the more she drank the worse things got, she wasn't a big girl by any stretch of the imagination but I've rarely seen anyone drunk on a couple of pints.  As a sidenote, the pints thing puts me off, yes I know, old fashioned, I'm wrong to think like that etc but it just doesn't seem lady like somehow?  Do others think like this or should  I just learn to live with it?

Anyway at the end of the second drink she seemed to have had far too much, not only that she now seemed to find me attractive.  I'm very tall and she was maybe average height which definitely helped because it almost felt at one stage like she was about to climb me like a tree.  Now don't get me wrong I am far from gods gift to women, if anything it's more like gods gift to celibacy sometimes but the alcohol must have gone to her head and convinced her I was the one for her.  In what felt like at the time a great idea I suggested that as the rain had stopped and we obviously lived in the same general direction we should take a nice walk through a lovely bit of town an get some fresh air.  Genius! It had worked a treat 'til about 10 minutes into the walk she needs the toilet so we had to duck into another bar.  I decide I need to quickly use the toilet too but to my dismay when I came back out she was at the bar with another 2 drinks in hand for us.  Apparently I'm no longer a genius.  After failing to avoid drinking the new drinks things went from bad to worse, I became miraculously more attractive and she became even more intoxicated. 

Having no idea what to do I managed to talk her outside then hailed us a taxi and got her to her house.  I asked the driver to wait for me while I got her into her place to make sure she was safe and promptly fell over the dog on my way out.  Only to turn round and see her undressing herself and suggesting all kinds of things, I did the ungentlemanly thing of dashing out the door and heading for the hills! 

My first date in 6 years, total disaster.  From here on in I promise myself I will always find out as much as possible about my date before I agree to meet and I always either walk to town or get a taxi, never a bus.

I remain hopeful though, I'm not the best catch by any means and I'm sure someone in the future might see a date with me as just as disasterous.  I hope she finds someone she likes and gels with soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment